Tuesday, June 10, 2008

My Quest

Up until two and a half months ago I was an advocate for the "life is too short" and "So much chocolate, so little time" campaign. It's true. Someone would ask "are you hungry?" at ANYTIME and my reply was "I could eat". I never worried about my weight. When my clothes became too tight, I'd go buy new ones. I'd lost weight before and I could do it again, if I wanted to, but I didn't want to. I didn't WANT to go on a diet - ALL fad diets are stupid, diet pills are dangerous, and surgery is just if your alternative is death. I didn't THINK of exercising - I have MS and I couldn't imagine the spasmodic fits my legs would throw...

But...

I don't know WHAT happened, but one day in April a thought popped in my head. I don't know where it came from - but I KNEW I just didn't want to be fat anymore. There is no vacation planned that I have to don a bathing suit, there is no wedding I have to attend, where I would have to wear a little black dress. No apparent motivation other than that thought " I don't want to be fat ANYMORE".

So began ....."The Quest To Not Be Fat Anymore"....(did I hear horns sounding??).
I can't believe I'm putting this out there for the world to know, but I stepped on the scales and the digital readout said...








"GET OFF - you're crushing me!!!"

Did you really think I was going to tell you my weight??

Ok Maybe I'll tell you in future blogs...but not now! Anyway...

SO how was I going to Not Be Fat Anymore?? The cliche way - EAT RIGHT AND EXERCISE.

FOOD:
I have no diet plan, nothing set in stone, no rigid rules. I can eat anything I want - I just don't WANT to eat a lot of things I used to - like Snicker's bars , Starbuck's Caramel Macchiatos, Whopper Juniors with cheese - no pickle, medium fry and a coke. The morning I went through the Burger King drive-thru and ordered orange juice instead of my usual BK Mocha Joe, the lady at the window asked if I was sick!
What I DO eat is lean turkey, chicken, tuna, eggs, peanut butter, LOTS of vegetables (not carrots - they are gross), fruit, cheeses, yogurt, WHOLE GRAIN bread (very little, though). Here's a tip: "Broccoli Slaw" can be eaten just like potato chips!

EXERCISE:
Shock of all shocks - I joined a gym! Can you believe it?? ME? at a GYM??? Seriously - I found a small gym that's accessible 24/7. It's on my way to work - I don't have to make a special trip to go. There are very few people there (at 5:45am) so I don't feel at all self-conscious. I work out about an hour, shower, and go to work (usually I get dressed between the "shower" and "go to work" steps).

And...

TURBO JAM!!! encouraged by my friend Jenell - who's lost 37 bazillion pounds - I ordered Turbo Jam - yep- straight from the infomercial - or rather Exercisemercial! If you haven't tried it and want to get in shape - TRY it!!! You can order it from the commercial OR go to Beachbody.com.

So my day is this: Get up , go the the gym, go to work, come home, do Turbo Jam, go to bed.

Oh YEA - I eat , drink LOTS of water and REST! I make sleep a priority. I'm always in bed by 9 and asleep by 10. Yea - I know - that's when the good shows are on - right? Well, that's why God created TiVo, silly!

Well, It's now been about 6 weeks since the beginning of "The Quest" and I've lost 17 pounds, and about 2 inches from my waist, hips, thighs, and arms. I have an abundance of energy, and the spasms in my legs happen less often, and I have NOT ONCE felt deprived - depraved maybe - but not deprived! I did "overdo " it the day I took my sister to Red Lobster. (But THAT only happens once every 4 years - or so! - right Angie?!)

So...Stay tuned - I might just post pictures one day of my "Quest To Not Be Fat Anymore"

1 comment:

Angie said...

I am SO proud of you! 17 lbs.!!!! That is awesome.

That night at Red Lobster was SO good and fun.

love you