Saturday, June 21, 2008

Procrastination - a psychological profile

It's Saturday morning and I'm procrastinating. My plan is to clean out kitchen cabinets today, but writing a blog sounds like more fun.

Procrastinating is the one thing I do well. At work - it's hard to do - with so many deadlines and so many people it would affect, it's not worth it, but at home I'm a Procrastinating Pro! The repercussions are less and the worst that could happen is I get out of the shower to find there are no clean towels. - Yea - keep laughing - like that's never happened to YOU.

Procrastination is the Scarlett O'Hara syndrome. "Tomorrow IS another day."

I looked up the word in Wikipedia and here's what they say:

"Procrastination is a type of behavior which is characterized by deferment of actions or tasks to a later time. Psychologists often cite procrastination as a mechanism for coping with the anxiety associated with starting or completing any task or decision."

Wow! THAT explains it! See, for those of you who don't know me - Anxiety is a family trait. True anxiety - cold sweats, leg bouncing, diarrhea - for NO reason. Yesserree - If you share my genes you KNOW what I'm talkin about!

But let's explore the task at hand- I apparently have anxiety "associated with starting or completing"[the task of] cleaning out my cabinets.

Why - you might ask??? I'm curious myself.

Maybe it's because I feel it's too BIG of a task and then anxiety would be replaced with "overwelm-ity".

Or perhaps it's because I feel I wouldn't do a good job and anxiety would be replaced with "failure-ity"

Or it's because I'm AFRAID of what I'll find in the cabinets and anxiety would be replaced with SHEER TERROR.... (Oprah did have a show once about a lady who was deathly afraid of oatmeal).

But no... I'm well aware of the reason for my procrastination over cleaning out my cabinets. It's the SAME reason EVERYONE procrastinates. It's because cleaning out the cabinets....IS NOT FUN and I'm LAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gotta go find a garbage bag...


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep on blogging. I'm enjoying it!

Aunt Liz

Angie said...

You are TOO funny. Yes I have those same genes!